Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fuck the Slut Shamers: A Nonsensical Rant

I have a major issue with slut shaming. Why? because "sluts, whores, and skanks" are human beings too. First of all, we need to define some terms.


Slut: a slovenly woman who appears dirty in appearance. I don't see anything about sexuality here, do you? We'll analyze the cultural connotation then.The problem with calling someone a slut is that it is so arbitrary that any woman could qualify; if her dress is too short, she must be a slut. If she puts her make up on too heavy, she must be a slut. If she walks a certain way, she must be a slut. If she has sex with too many people (what is considered too many, by the way? Has society actually established a real number that tells who are the prudes and who are the sluts?), she must be a slut. Since I really don't know what a slut is, I'll just go by the Webster dictionary term and use slut when it means a physically filthy woman.

Whore: someone who has sex for money. I fucking love prostitutes, and I'm not going against anything they do. They provide a service that many women won't even give to their husbands. It's a respectable field that has fed otherwise unemployed women and children since biblical times. It's been around since before a secretary was considered a "respectable" job for women.

I do not know any prostitutes, and I'm pretty sure my acquaintances don't either, yet I hear this term more often then I hear about homework assignment due dates. If a woman has a lot of sexual partners (again, unknown number that could be made up by ANYONE), she is a whore. No, unless she's getting fucked and paid for it, then no, she is not a whore. Sorry.

Skank: someone who has sex with lots of men. What is considered a lot? well, i have no idea. In the US, the average man and woman has about 6 sexual partners before they get married, so I'm assuming it's got to be more. But according to some, it could be anyone who talks about their sex life. Ambiguous and arbitrary? Hell yes.

I hate slut shaming because I get slut shamed. It's nobody's business to judge me what I do behind close doors as it's none of my business to judge you either. I really don't care and neither should you. I personally feel that those that do slut shame are
1. insecure about their own sex lives and feel the need to project their insecurites unto others
2. have religious fanatical beliefs that make them think that they need to express their opinions about things that are none of their business
3. they have nothing better to do with their time except analyze people's sex lives.

Let's remember legal complications; a few special people have made remarks about the link between sexual attacks and how a woman carries herself about (be it sexually promiscuous or simply the way she dresses). No, I don't think these correspond and these kind of issues just never justify a rape or sexual assault. So please, keep it out of the court rooms.

Slut shamers need to go fuck themselves; if they do, I think they would be happier with their own lives and they may finally realize they need to mind their own goddamned business.

No comments:

Post a Comment